Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Thank You

It was one of the last warm days of the year I could remember. I was standing there alone even though so many others surrounded me. We were all waiting.

I was dressed finely that day, unusually proper for those who uphold the low standards of my generation. Though my feet were tired, they were elevated in a distinctive elegance beneath such dark attire.

The cool yet deceiving wind ran it's fingers through my long hair. Caught in its grasp I remembered it's newly acquired length for which four years prior did not know of.

Upon it's arrival, the sudden and collective wave of movement rose among us. I adjusted my bag after a deep sigh for what impending monotony awaited. Before I could move an inch I heard a voice call my name.

Rotating slowly as not to seem anxious, he walked by.

The deception calmed though the wind still wrapped itself around us. Mutually pleased to find each other, I felt the first genuine smile emerge from many months of retirement. The wind whipped a long strand of hair across my face. Reaching up to comb it away I greeted your presence more elated than I should have.

Our conversation was brief but reverberated in my ears for many hours.
Your selective acknowledgment of me could not have been more pleasing. Your wardrobe could not have been anymore tasteful.

It is strange how years will seep away unnoticed, worthless and empty but mere threads of reality capture hearts and reserve memory.

No comments: